Are you an Amazon Prime member? If so, you’re probably familiar with the voice-activated assistant, Alexa. Alexa is available in the US, UK, and Germany, and can be used to control devices in your home, including lights, fans, and thermostats. If you’re not an Amazon Prime member, you can still use Alexa by downloading the Alexa app and registering for an account.
Amazon Alexa en us , uk
Alexa in the US vs the UK: What’s the difference?
So, what s the big deal about Alexa?
Well, in the US, Alexa is the voice assistant for Amazon Echo devices, while in the UK, Alexa is the voice assistant for Amazon Echo devices, the Echo Dot, and the Amazon Tap. That said, Amazon also offers Alexa in Germany, Japan, France, Spain, Italy, and Brazil, so the service is global in nature.
Why the different names and platforms?
Interestingly, the UK and US versions of Alexa have different names because Amazon wanted to make it clear that the UK Echo devices were specifically for the UK market and not for export. To do this, Amazon opted for the name Alexa UK, which is different than the US Alexa.
Why is the Amazon Echo so popular in the UK?
Well, for starters, the Echo is a great device because it s affordable, it has a good sound quality, and it can be controlled using voice commands. Additionally, the Echo has a built-in speaker, so you can use it to listen to music, control your smart home devices, and more.
How to get started with Alexa in the UK
If you’re in the UK and want to start using Amazon’s Alexa voice assistant, here’s how:
1. First, you’ll need a device that can connect to the internet and access Alexa. This could be a smart speaker like the Echo or Echo Dot, or a Fire Tablet.
2. Next, you’ll need to sign up for an Amazon account. This will let you link your Alexa device to your Amazon account and enable voice activation and other features.
3. Once you’ve set up your account and device, open the Alexa app on your device and click the three lines in the top left corner. This will open the Settings menu.
4. Under ‘Services,’ click ‘Alexa.’ You’ll see your Amazon account name and password in the top left corner.
5. Next, under ‘Devices,’ click ‘Add a Device.’ You’ll need to give your Alexa device a name (something like ‘Echo Dot UK’) and account password.
6. Under ‘Alexa Features,’ click ‘Set Up a New Device.’ You’ll be asked to confirm your device’s connection to the internet and to sign in to your Amazon account.
7. Once you’ve confirmed your connection and signed in, you’ll see your Alexa device listed under ‘Devices.’ Under ‘Settings,’ click ‘Alexa Devices.’
8. Click the blue button next to your device
Alexa skills for UK users
Amazon Echo is a voice assistant developed by Amazon. It can be found in the Alexa app for iOS and Android devices, and on the Amazon Echo. Echo can also be used to control a variety of connected devices in the home, including lights, thermostats, and security systems.
Alexa Skills are voice applications that allow you to do things like control your music, get information, and more. With over 1,000 skills, Echo has endless possibilities. Here are just a few of the skills that are perfect for the UK:
1. BBC News Skills: Echo can get the latest headlines, weather updates, and more from BBC News.
2. Spotify Skills: Echo can control your music playback, including skipping tracks, rating songs, and more.
3. Uber: Echo can order Uber cars for you. Just say, “Alexa, ask Uber for a ride to [destination].”
4. Domino’s: Echo can place orders for you with Domino’s Pizza. Just say, “Alexa, order pizza from Domino’s.”
5. Yelp: Echo can search for restaurants and get reviews, as well as place orders.
6. Amazon Prime: Echo can check your Amazon Prime status, order items, and more.
7. IFTTT: Echo can connect to IFTTT channels and do all sorts of fun things.
What can Alexa do in the UK?
Alexa is a voice-activated assistant that can do a variety of tasks, including providing information, playing music, setting alarms, and controlling smart home devices. With Alexa, you can access information from Amazon.com, listen to music from TuneIn and Pandora, set alarms, and more. In addition, you can use Alexa to find information about restaurants and hotels in the UK.
Alexa UK tips and tricks
How to make Alexa work better for you
1. Know your voice. Just like with humans, different voices work better with different devices. If you’re having trouble getting Alexa to do what you want, try using a different voice.
2. Enable hands-free mode. If you’re busy and don’t have time to fiddle with buttons, enable hands-free mode. This will let Alexa do all the work for you.
3. Train Alexa. As with any new technology, you’ll need to train Alexa to understand your voice. Try saying the name of a familiar object, or ask Alexa to play a certain song or TV show.
4. Use voice commands. When you know how to work Alexa, you can use voice commands to do everything from setting alarms to ordering pizza.
5. Get the right device. Not all Alexa devices are created equal. Make sure you have the right one for the task at hand. For example, an Echo Dot is great for small spaces, while an Echo Plus is better for larger rooms.
6. Use Alexa in combination with other devices. Alexa can also work with other devices, like a smart thermostat or home security system.
7. Use Alexa to supplement your regular routines. For example, you can use Alexa to manage your calendar, set reminders, and shop for groceries.
8. Use Alexa in new ways.
The Amazon Echo is now available in the UK and US, and it’s easy to set up and use. If you’re looking for an easy way to control your home, the Echo is a great choice.