How to Mark an Outlook Email as Read
If you have a lot of email and don’t have time to read it all, you can mark an email as read. This will stop the email from being sent to your inbox and saved in your mailbox.
How to change Options for Marking an email as Read in Outlook – Office 365
How to mark an email as read in Outlook
In order to mark an email as read in Outlook, simply open the email and click the “Read” button located at the bottom of the email.
Why you should mark emails as read in Outlook
- It saves time: No need to keep opening and closing an email to see if you should read it or not. Outlook will do it for you.
- It keeps your inbox clean: If you have a lot of unread emails, marking them as read will help you focus on the emails that are important.
- It’s a good way to stay aware of what’s going on: By reading the emails that are important to you, you’ll be better equipped to deal with anything that comes up.
- It can help you avoid potential conflicts: If you have colleagues that you need to keep in touch with, marking their emails as read will help avoid any potential conflicts.
- It shows that you care: If someone sends you an email and you don’t have time to read it, it shows that you don’t care about that person and their message.
The benefits of marking an email as read in Outlook
- It saves time: As soon as you finish reading an email, you can simply mark it as read. This means that the email will not appear in your Inbox, and you won’t have to waste time reading it again.
- It keeps you organized: If you have lots of emails to read, marking them as read will help you to focus on the important ones. By excluding emails from your Inbox, you can save space and make it easier to find what you are looking for.
- It keeps you informed: If you have set up alerts for specific emails, marking them as read will let you know when they have been read. This can help to keep you updated on the latest developments, and ensure that you don’t miss any important information.
- It saves you time and energy: If you have to respond to an email immediately, marking it as read will save you time and energy. You won’t have to waste time reading the email again, and you won’t have to type it out.
- It protects your privacy: By marking an email as read, you are indicating that you have finished with it. This will protect your privacy, as the email will not be sent to the recipient’s email account.
How to quickly mark an email as read in Outlook
There are a few ways to quickly mark an email as read in Outlook. Here are the steps:
1. Open the email you want to read.
- Click the arrow next to the email’s subject line.
- Click the check box next to the email.
- Click the Close button.
The difference between marking an email as read or unread in Outlook
Marking an email as read in Outlook delegates the decision of whether or not to act on the email to the user’s memory. Emails that have been read will continue to appear in the user’s Outbox, but the user will not be alerted when new emails arrive that are related to the email that was read.
Unread emails, on the other hand, keep the user constantly aware of any new emails that have arrived related to the email that was unread. Emails that have not been read will not appear in the user’s Outbox, but they will be listed in the user’s Inbox.
If you use the “mark as read” feature in Outlook, you can avoid accidentally reading an email again.