Changing the ink cartridge is a step in the maintenance of your printer. You need to change the ink cartridge from time to time because if there is any damage to your ink cartridge, it can lead to different errors. Sometimes when you change an ink cartridge on your printer, your printer does not recognize it. The same happens with Hp printers. After changing the ink cartridge, you can face HP printer not recognizing ink cartridge issue. There are chances that they recognize it but shows that you have low ink levels. You need to fix this error to print using your Hp printer.
Read this article to know what causes HP printer not recognizing ink cartridge error and how you can resolve it easily. Follow the steps mentioned in the article to fix the error. We have tried our best to provide you with all the necessary information you need to fix the issue. Stay tuned with the article to get a solution to your issue.
Indications of HP printer not recognizing ink cartridge error
If you get any of the below-mentioned error on your printer, it is because you are facing the HP printer not recognizing ink cartridge error. Read the list below.
- You can get a message that your toner is incompatible.
- Also, it can show that there no ink or the ink level is very low in the cartridge.
- You can also notice a prompt saying that your cartridge is blocked or your cartridge protection is blocked.
- Another indication is that your printer cartridge is not installed.
- You can also notice flashing lights indicating for a warning on your printer.
Reasons for HP printer not recognizing ink cartridge error
Here is a list of all the causes that lead to the HP printer not recognizing ink cartridge error. Read the list below.
- You will have to reset the memory of the printer sometimes so when your printer can recognize the newly installed cartridge. There are chances that your printer is not able to recognize because of the full memory.
- The other reason is that you have not removed the protective tapes properly. If you do not remove the protective tapes properly, your printer can face issues while you put back the cartridge.
- In case your chips are damaged or dirty, it can make it difficult for the data to be read. There are chances that there is any dirt present on the toner or the metal chips that is preventing your printer from reading the data.
- When you try to update the firmware, there are chances that you have opted for cartridge protection option. If you have enabled that option, it can lead to the occurrence of HP printer not recognizing ink cartridge error.
- You can also face the error if you have not inserted the cartridge correctly. You will have to remove the cartridge and then put it back to check if it is working correctly this time or not. After placing the cartridge again, you will have to check if your printer is working fine or not.
- Another reason due to which you can face the error is that when you update the internal software of your printer, it can automatically set the status of the ink as empty. If your printer has set the status to empty, you will have to face the error.
These were all the possible reasons due to which you can face the HP printer not recognizing ink cartridge error. Read the steps to below to fix the error.
Steps to fix HP printer not recognizing ink cartridge error
Follow the below-mentioned steps to fix the HP printer not recognizing ink cartridge error. Follow the steps in the same order as they are mentioned to carry out the process easily.
- You will first have to replace your new cartridge with the old cartridge. You will then have to let your printer rest for at least 10 minutes.
- Once done, you will again have to put back the new cartridge and remove the old one.
- After this, you will have to turn the power of your printer ON.
- If the above-mentioned steps didn’t solve your problem, you will then have to remove the power cable from the power source.
- You will then again have to wait for the next 10 minutes.
- After this, you will have to press the power of your printer On.
- You will then have to clear the metal plates of your printer. You can use a cotton cloth and carefully clean the metal.
- After this, you will have to restart your printer. Check if you are still facing the error.
Steps to clean the printer metal contact
Follow the steps mentioned below to clean the printer’s metal contact. Follow the steps in the same order as they are mentioned to carry out the process easily.
- You will have to turn off your printer and also, remove the power cable.
- After this, you will have to remove the ink cartridge from the printer and then place it at a position where you think it will be safe.
- Next, you will have to check the metal points on your printer.
- Use a soft cloth to clean the joint from where your printer connection is made.
- After this, you will have to put back the cartridge on the printer.
- Lastly, you will have to start your printer and then try printing a sample page.
In case you are facing the same error, you will have to make sure that the protective stripes are properly removed from the cartridge. Another thing that you need to make sure is you are using the right toner or the cartridge for your printer. Also, you must buy the genuine cartridge of the manufacturer. In case, you will face the “HP printer not recognizing ink cartridge” issue, you can contact the support team. They will be available to help you. Else you can visit the official Hp website and there you will get the information in how you can contact the support team.